The “Dance” that is the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament will be starting in approximately six weeks, and 68 teams will be looking to be the one to cut down the net in the Louisiana Superdome when the final game has been played.
Here at the VORG, we’re going to hold our own “March Moniker Madness” tournament, which will consist of the top 64 player names in MLB history. There will be four “regions” of 16 names (‘Spelling Bee’, ‘Sounds Dirty’, ‘Just Cool to Say’ and ‘What Were Mom and Dad Thinking’), and after I seed the names from 1-16 in each region, they’ll go through single elimination polls, until we crown a champ.
Here is where you come in . . . YOU get to provide me with the teams (though I’ll screen them for appropriateness/level of wonderfulness). I’ll seed them and then set the polls up. All I ask is that you follow these guidelines:
- Players ONLY. No coaches, umpires, executives, broadcasters, etc, UNLESS they ALSO played in the Majors at one time.
- Majors ONLY. This is not open to anyone from the Minors who has never played a game in the Majors. The Minors has their own competition, organized by MILB.COM.
- Foreign players that played professionally in other countries but have NOT played a game in MLB are not allowed (ex. Yu Darvish).
- No nicknames, UNLESS the nickname has become the de facto first name of the player (i.e. “Catfish Hunter”). I might run a “Nickname Madness” pool later in the year, depending on the response to this one.
- Please state the “top line” name as shown by Baseball Reference. For example, use “Reggie Jackson,” not “Reginald Martinez Jackson” or “Reginald Jackson”.
- If you cannot find the name in Baseball Reference, but you are sure you’ve seen it in print, send me a link to it.
- Active and retired players are each allowed.
- All submissions must be received by February 17.
- Submissions will be accepted via commenting on this post or follow-up “Madness” posts, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with “Madness” as the Subject.
Thanks for your anticipated involvement, and have fun!